Sunday, February 19, 2012

Soundtrack of 2011


So, I guess this may be a bit overdue but I've been kinda slacking off in the blogging department. I originally planned to post about this last month but I just didn't have the time. Anyways here are a few tracks that summed up my 2011. Check it out! (Warning: These are addictive.)

January
I got really into Two Door Cinema Club. I would play them all day for a month or two...I'm not really sure how I got hooked to them but I'm guessing it's because of the Tap Tap game for iPhone? Their song "What You Know" was one of the default songs on the app.

"This Is The Life" was one of my favorites, followed by "Cigarettes in the Theatre" and "Come Back Home".


February
Since the Deftones concert was nearing, I had to listen to a few tracks off their new album "Diamond Eyes" and yes it got glued to my ears! Everything on the album was an instant fave but according to my iTunes, "976 Evil" was the most played. I also liked the other tracks like "Sextape" (who wouldn't?), "Risk", "Beauty School" and a couple of old tracks like "Change" and "Digital Bath" but I won't include those singles for my 2011 soundtrack since I've been listening to those a few years back. I just had to rekindle some old feelings...


March
One song. "Forever And Ever Amen" by The Drums. 'Nuff said.


April
I pretty much loved everything on Incubus' new album "If Not Now, When?" and it is still on loop as of today. I still haven't digested "Tomorrow's Food" and "Defiance" though...
"The Original" was the first song I fell in love with and I don't think I will ever fall OUT of love for it. Of course "Adolescents" was released tad early than the album itself and it was magic in my ears when I first heard it. "Switchblade" and "Thieves" were favorites too! And the list continues... (oh, and if you're a real Incubus fan, you'd notice something wrong here. Please forgive me.)


May
Okay, May was a mix between a lot of songs. The Temper Trap's "Sweet Disposition", Katchafire's "Seek Ye", White Lies' "Unfinished Business" and Wilabaliw's "Illuminate 1" for local music cravings. What a strange mix of songs huh? But I remember playing "Unfinished Business" over and over again, it even gave me a push to go to the gym just so I could listen to it while running around the track. God I miss this song...


June
It was pre-Incubus month. The anticipation for their concert next month has begun...
Malay did a pretty cool rendition of Incubus' "Promises, Promises"! I actually even thought it was better than the original. Views changed through time of course but a statement like that coming from me is a huge thing! Hah! And I love how Pochoy Labog does an Incubus cover WITHOUT doing a Brandon Boyd rip-off. They had their own style and it was awesome.


July
Ay...July is fangirl month. Incubus is set to perform on the 28th and of course I had to listen to a few of their new tracks! The B-Sides just got released and yes you guessed it, hooked! "Rebel Girls" was my favorite. I liked it so much I had to analyze the message and came up with a surprising conclusion! The play of words suddenly made sense. Hah! Oh Mr. Lyricist, why must you be so experimental and clever? I love it.
"Hold Me Down" and "Surface To Air" were two of the other B-Sides.


August
I had to distract myself from the post concert depression and RHCP's new song "The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie" came in perfect timing! And the music video shot in Venice, California gave more impact to this song. Although no more John Frusciante in this album, another John, Klinghoffer is as awesome.


September
September is definitely Young The Giant month! I discovered them when I saw they were touring with Incubus. "Guns Out" was the first song I got obsessed with. Literally, the first click on the play button was magic. I also liked "My Body" and "Islands" (which I'm planning to include in my first fashion show playlist in the near future...wow, I just spoiled that.)


October
October is Oh Land month! Don't even get me started. This is real talent....she's pop but not garbage! I fell in love with her when I first saw the video for "White Nights". I literally play raped it for the next couple of the days. Nanna continues to be an inspiration to me now. She's making me want to start a trio! Loved all her songs in the latest album actually. "Wolf & I", "Break The Chain" and "Rainbow" to name a few...


November
I found myself listening to two songs on repeat for a month. It was Lana Del Ray's "Video Games" and Brigitte's "La Vengeance D'une Louve". These are amazing songs from two different artists! Brigitte is a folk musical duo from France. Seriously, I get so much inspiration from their music, it's crazy! I am willing to fly to France just to attend one of their shows.


December
Another tie-up between two songs! Jeffertitti's Nile "Sleep Tonight" and Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know". I actually knew these songs a month earlier but really paid attention to it's beauty a month after. "Sleep Tonight" is a good meditation and zen time song, I recommend. I've been seeing Gotye's songs everywhere now and I'm glad musicians like him are getting attention. It's about time people stopped listening to crap.


∞B

No comments:

Post a Comment